Before I share this recipe, I must introduce you to our weekend Cook! Mr Q. !! A driven husband and a hands-on dad! Honours the kitchen on weekends sometimes and when I say honours I mean a territorial control, the complete takeover of the space……..Time for me to take a deep breath, grab a cuppa and put my feet up!!! But if I get past that part of letting go, it is so much fun!
He has got some good recipes up his sleeves which he dazzles us with from time to time! Another charming quality that impressed me when we were dating 😜….
Today’s special is “Fish Tacos” A round of applause 👏🏼 from the dynamic, hungry audience – me and our little girl.
He makes them now and then for lunch on weekends. And truth be told, they are Devine!
These Tacos are a quick, light and a healthy fix!
Here is how you cook it.
Serves: 2 people ||| Prep. time: 20 minutes ||| Cook time: 10 minutes ||| Difficulty level: Easy
- 450g of Cod frozen or fresh fillets (He used Tesco 5 Cod Fillets-defrosted and dried over kitchen towel)
- 1/4 cup lemon juice, preferably fresh and more lemon to garnish.
- 4 chunky cloves of garlic
- 1/2 tablespoon paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon carom seeds
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 egg, lightly beaten with a small pinch of salt.
- 3 tablespoon oil to fry
- Soft flour tortillas
- Shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 cup red cabbage, finely shredded
- 1/4 cup coriander/cilantro chopped
- Salad leaves
- 1 tablespoon Honey
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon celery salt.
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 1/2 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 avocado, sliced
- 1 tomato, deseeded and cubed
- 1 mango, cubed
- 2 spring onions, chopped
- 1 jalapeño, deseeded finely chopped
- 1 chunky garlic clove, finely chopped
- 1/4 cup fresh lime juice, more to taste
- A pinch of cumin
- A pinch of curry powder
- 1/2 cup of fresh coriander leaves
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Sriracha sauce to drizzle on top of tacos
Cut fish into bite size pieces. Grind all the dry ingredients for the fish to a paste along with the garlic and lemon juice in Pestle and mortar or food processor. Gently rub this marinate on the fish, leave it aside for 15 minutes.
To prepare guacamole
In a medium bowl, mix avocado, mango, garlic, coriander, spring onion, tomato, lime juice, jalapeno, cumin powder and curry powder, season with salt and pepper. Fold gently to a chunky salsa consistency.
In a medium bowl, whisk together the honey, oil, apple cider vinegar, celery salt, salt and pepper and pour dressing over the shredded cabbage, salad leaves and coriander mixture, toss to combine.
Now the fish
Place a non-stick pan on medium heat with the 3 tablespoons of oil. Dip each piece of marinated fish into the egg mixture and fry, for 2-3 minutes each side..or until brown. Fry in small batches.
Warm the tortillas on a dry pan and pile it with slaw, guacamole, cheese and fish, drizzle with the Sriracha and squeeze some lime juice on the top!
Hope you enjoy it as much as we did!